Monday, December 31, 2012

The Best of 2012: Pirates Invade Camden

The MaineSail Journal
Pirates Invade Camden

By Doug Mills
    Pirates at the Camden Windjammer Festival?  I am not sure what I was expecting, a few people in fake pirate costume pretending to have a sword fight, the Pirates of the Dark Rose were so much more.  The costumes, their speech, their knowledge of their craft combined with the schooner fleet in the harbor combined to make one believe that Camden had actually been taken over by pirates!  I found myself in big trouble as soon as I walked up.  "That had better be a Nikon Camera you be shooting with" bellowed one of the pirates, "ARGH, it be a Canon!  We pirates din't like having cannons pointed at us.." he yells as his hand moves for his sword.
We pirates din't like having cannons pointed at us..
  First up was the "Pirates Council"  to settle any grievances among the crew. There was no appealing this ruling and there were a few less crew when they were done.  I am glad that my "Canon incident" didn't have to be settled in that court!  Later we were treated to a great demonstration of pirate weapons and tactics.  I would not want to be on the receiving end of this pirate invasion.
    The Pirates of the Dark Rose are a combination of wit and wisdom, combining fun with a deep knowledge of the history they portray.  Oh, did I mention that the canons and the weapons used were real and not toys?
So, step back and enjoy that pirate fantasy you had as a child for a few hours.  Ah...or "ARGH" it is just as I had dreamed it would be so many years ago.  I can't wait to have a chance to see "The Pirates of the Dark Rose" again.
    For those in the Eastport area they will be at the Eastport Pirate Festival, 7-9 September at Eastport, Maine -- where one whole town turns pirate, warms me old black heart, it does.  For those who will not be able to make it to Eastport you can contact The Pirates of the Dark Rose to invade...I mean visit your Fair or Festival, Historic Site, School or Fundraiser.  For engagements or information, contact Tom Crudbeard
AKA Tomm Tomlinson
(207) 975-6517
122 Camden Street
Rockport, Maine 04856





































No comments:

Post a Comment