Wednesday, January 14, 2015

EXCLUSIVE Musician Spotlight: AJ Bishop, Rising Singer

AJ Bishop from Portland, Oregon is a 15-yr-old singer/dancer/actor who has been performing professionally since she was 8. Starting in musical theater, she has been lucky enough to perform on numerous stages over the last 5 years in musical theater, dramatic and operatic productions. Now Anna has expanded her repertoire to include Pop and Country music. She is currently in a development and production contract with well known LA producer Kevin DeClue and Dominion Entertainment (new label) and recording and working on original music. Follow her by subscribing on YouTube, Twitter, becoming a fan on ReverbNation, liking her on FB, and downloading her songs for FREE on ReverbNation or Bandcamp!!

Bishop is a beautiful young lady with a wonderful singing voice that puts her own style in every song. We recently had the pressure of interviewing this fifteen year old singer. Here is what she had to say to us about being a normal teen, education and of course her music.

When did you start singing?
I started singing in a musical theater camp at a local children's theater when I was about 8, and I immediately was hooked. After that, I performed in musicals all over Portland until I added in opera at age 11, which I really enjoyed. Opera introduced me to choir, and eventually, recording (what I do now)!

Was it your dream to be a singer?

Not at all! While I was riveted on musical theater, a lot of kids my age had one ultimate goal: to be on Broadway. For me, though, I never thought that way. I truly was in it for the fun factor, and that has stayed pretty accurate for me. Singing is my passion, and if I am still at it in 30 years, then great! If not, it will still be a huge part of my life, even if nothing "big" ever comes out of it.

Tell us about your style of singing?
There are so many styles that have influenced my own, so it is difficult to label mine. However, if I could sum it up, I would have to say that my style is a combination of folk, jazz, country, and pop. Sorry if that's vague, but you will have to listen to get a better taste!

Are there challenges pursuing a singing career and being a normal fifteen year old?
Balance is a constant struggle in my life. It is sometimes overwhelming to deal with school work, sports, social events, blogging, and a singing career. However, with the right amount of relaxation and personal time for myself, it all together can be extremely rewarding. But the sweet spot is hard to find!

Do your parents and friends support you?
My friends and family are my biggest support systems by far. All of my friends know what I am up to, and regularly comment on my social media sites, which is always fun to see. My parents and siblings have been unbelievably supportive throughout everything. I couldn't be surrounded by better people!

Do you write your own songs?
I have always aspired to be a full on singer songwriter, however, most of my songs are written by amazingly talented composers and lyricists, not by me. Although, the lyrics for my newly released song, "I'm Strong," were written by me and my producer. I write poetry and stories all the time, so the next step for me will be to learn how to compose, which is a skill I would absolutely love to develop and grow.

Where was your first performance, were you excited?
My first live performance was when I was 9 years old in The Wizard of Oz. I was just a "munchkin" in the production, but it was a complete blast! After the first night of our shows, I was completely in love with the adrenaline and excitement of live performances. I am a total introvert, so theater was a way for me to step outside of my comfort zone, and gain more confidence than I had ever attained before.

How do you prepare your voice for a performance?
When I performed in opera, I learned many vocal exercises and scales, but the most important thing for me is rest and fluids before a show. There is only so much that a siren and a trill can do if your throat is tired and dry.

If I went to one of your concerts, what can fans and I expect?
I have not done any concerts dedicated to my own music, but I am eager to share my new songs live with an audience. However, if I do perform soon, you can expect an intimate, raw performance of my favorite originals, and beloved classics.

Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
I am inspired mostly by classic rock bands, such as the Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd. I am drawn to natural, heart felt music with vocally driven melodies that tell a story.

If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and with who/ why?
I would perform in my hometown of Portland because here I have learned everything I know, and I would want all of my family and friends to be present.

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?
Honestly, I am not sure. Right now, though, all that I want is to have fun, and spread that fun to others. My love for music is all that I need!

What three words best describe you and your music?
Natural, heart-felt, classic

Do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?
Have fun! It is too easy to get overwhelmed with the stresses and anxieties that come with sharing your voice; it is very personal! But if you can simply enjoy the music, it is all worth it.

Do you have any other talents?
I actually am a teen blogger for the Huffington Post, and I love to write. I also am a varsity XC runner at my high school. It is really important to try out everything, I think, especially while I still can!

Are you passionate about any charities, if so, why?
The Friendly House is a local non-profit organization in Portland that provides after school programs for kids whose families have to work and can't supply their children with fun activities. Since this charity is practically in my neighborhood, I feel very passionate about it. When I was younger, my family and I sewed and sold hats, and gave the money to The Friendly House.

Is education important to you?
Education is my top priority. I understand how important school is, and I don't sacrifice any of it, no matter how busy I am. My parents have taught me the true value of education, and its relevance in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment