Thursday, March 27, 2014

Selena Gomez: We Day California Conference

Oakland, California - Twenty one year old actress Selena Gomez looked beautiful in a red suit as she spoke about youth empowerment to 16,000 students and educators at the first We Day California held at ORACLE Arena on March 26, 2014 in Oakland, California.

"I'm surrounded by people who are supposed to guide me," Gomez said. "And some of them have and others haven't. They pressure me. There's so much pressure. You gotta be sexy. You gotta be cute. You gotta be nice. You gotta be all these things ... They tell me what to wear, how to look, what I should say, how I should be, until recently I had given in to that pressure. I lost sight of who I was. I listened to opinions of people and I tried to change who I am because I thought that others would accept me for it. And I realized I don't know how to be anything but myself."

After getting choked up, she admitted to making some mistakes.

"I'd be lying if I said that I've never tried to make myself better by giving in, because I have," she continued. "But I've learned from my actions, and for all the things I've done I'm proudest of that. I've learned from my mistakes. I want you to know that I know what it's like figuring out what types of friends you have. You are who you surround yourself with."

Watch Selena's full speech below:
Selena Marie Gomez born July 22, 1992 is an American actress and singer.

No comments:

Post a Comment