Thursday, December 24, 2015

EXCLUSIVE Athlete Spotlight: Dancer Larsen Thompson

From California comes a beautiful, talented fifteen year old dancer by the name of Larsen Thompson. Larsen has been blessed to have the opportunity to work professionally in dance, modeling, commercials, and theatrically starting at the age of nine and recently turned thirteen. She has a passion to dance and is recognized within the industry for her work as being a back up dancer on The X Factor, Kids Teen Choice Awards for Christina Aguilera and Pit Bull, Shake It Up on Disney, and Nickelodeons Fresh Beat Band.

Recently, you probably saw her dancing in national commercials for Microsofts Surface and Targets Back to School. Prior to this she had the opportunity to work commercially for brands like Nintendo, McDonalds, Paramount, Nissan, and Walmart. She was fortunate to be featured in Dance Spirit Magazines March 2013, you Should Know, and November 2013 Hip Hops Next Generation Rising B-Girls. Lastly, she was recognized at the Industry Voice Awards as one of the Top Ten Prodigies for 2013.

Larsen signed with Zuri Models where she did her first run way show, represents The Soopergirl clothing line, California Costumes, Target, and worked on Coca Colas national print campaign.

We recently had the opportunity to interview this fifteen year old lady on everything from her dancing career to education. Here is what she had to say to our founder/editor David Mills.

When did you start dancing?
I started dancing at the age of three years old and instantly fell in love with it.  Dressing up in amazing costumes and performing continues to be a blast.

Was it your dream to be a dancer?
No, I actually wanted to be a doctor as a kid but soon realized that dreams change and my passion is
in the entertainment industry.

Tell us about your style of dancing?
I love training in all aspects of dance and my personal style is being technical, dynamic, sharp, and powerful:).  Hip Hop and Contemporary are my favorite styles of dance which allow me to express my emotions and passion for dance.

Are there challenges pursuing a dancing career and being a teenager?
Yes, trying to balance high school academics, spending time with friends and family, and pursuing my dreams it quite chaotic at times.  My family keeps me grounded and focused at the same time.

Do your parents and friends support you?
My parents and friends are my biggest fans and supporters.  They encourage me to explore different career opportunities like right now I have been spending a lot of time modeling.

Do you come up with your own dance routines?
I like to choreograph routines to songs that I love and can relate too.  However, most of the time I am dancing for choreographers and training in the studio.

If so, tell us what goes into putting a great routine together?
The musicality and personal connection to the song starts the creative process as I visualize then perform different dance movements that flow.

Where was your first dance performance, were you excited?
My first dance experience was with a dance company I was a part of here in Thousand Oaks.  It was with a group of young girls like myself and we were dressed up in ducky outfits:).

How do you prepare yourself for a performance?
Practice, practice, practice...  It is everything to be prepared so by the time I'm on stage I have rehearsed it my mind and body many times over.  Then take a deep breathe and begin the performance.

If I went to one of your dance performances, what can fans and I expect?
If you saw me on stage today my hope is that you see a dancer with a lot of passion, expression, and technically strong.

Where have you been able to dance?
Recently, I was fortunate to dance on stage with my best friend and "Fraternal Twin" - Taylor Hatala - for Janet Jackson a few months ago which was an amazing experience.  Previous to that, I had the opportunity to dance back up for Christina Aguilera and Pitbull, The Voice, X Factor, and television programs - Disney Shake it Up, and Nickelodeon Fresh Beat Band.

Who inspires you with your dancing?
Mentors like Brian Friedman, Tessandra Chavez, Jess Warfield, and Janelle Ginestra & Will Adams are inspiring dancers and choreographers who continue to develop and invest in me.

If you could dance anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
There are several different countries I would love to dance in like Spain, Australia, Italy, and many others.  I love meeting different people and experiencing different cultures when traveling abroad.  I had the chance to dance in London a few years ago and it was an incredible opportunity.

Along the same line, who would you love to dance with?
I would love to dance with Beyonce, Taylor Swift, and Justin Timberlake to name just a few...

What do you hope to accomplish with your dancing?
I hope to inspire and motivate dancers to follow their dreams and not listen to what others say or think about them.  If I can make an impact and be a positive role model for others that would be the biggest accomplishment.

What three words best describe you and your dancing?
Technical, fierce, and dynamic.

Do you have any advice for those wanting to start a dancing career?
Do what you love to do, if it is dance then practice and explore all areas of dance.  Ballet is the foundation so spend more time training in that and the rest will follow.

Do you have any other talents?
Outside of dance I spend a lot of time modeling and acting.  I try to balance all three to make sure I continue to improve and develop my craft.

Are you passionate about any charities, if so, why?
JDRF - Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.  My cousin is a diabetic and I want to help find a cure for her and others that are impacted by this disease.

Is education important to you?
I take my academics seriously and still remain in public school today - currently a freshman in high school.  I plan to attend college while pursuing my career as I get older.

We want to thank Larsen for taking the time to answer our questions. Fans can follow Larsen on Twitter by clicking here. Her website can be seen by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment